UPDATE 1-Swiss warn on flu vaccine with autoimmune disease
* Says autoimmune patients should not take Novartis vaccine
* Regulator says could lead to intensifying of disease
(Adds details on vaccine and warning)
ZURICH, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Switzerland's medical regulator recommended patients with serious autoimmune diseases should not use an H1N1 flu vaccine from Novartis (NOVN.VX), saying there were no studies assessing the inoculation in that segment of the population.
Swissmedic said on Wednesday it could not be ruled out that either or both of the adjuvant -- which can enhance the immune response -- and the antigen, or less active ingredient, could lead to an intensifying of autoimmune diseases.
Autoimmune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis, are caused by an overly active immune system attacking its own body, targeting substances which are normally present.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |