Tennis-Williams beats Henin to win Australian Open title
MELBOURNE Jan 30 (Reuters) - Serena Williams won her 12th grand slam singles title with a 6-4 3-6 6-2 victory over Belgium's Justine Henin in the final of the Australian Open on Saturday.
The world number one took the first set and while she lost momentum in the second, fought back and eventually overpowered the unseeded Henin, who was playing just her second tournament back following an 18-month retirement.
Williams has now won five Australian Open titles,
(Reporting by Greg Stutchbury; Editing by Peter Rutherford; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- Microsoft beats Wall Street on new CEO debut |