Tennis-Williams beats Henin to win Australian Open title
MELBOURNE Jan 30 (Reuters) - Serena Williams won her 12th grand slam singles title with a 6-4 3-6 6-2 victory over Belgium's Justine Henin in the final of the Australian Open on Saturday.
The world number one took the first set and while she lost momentum in the second, fought back and eventually overpowered the unseeded Henin, who was playing just her second tournament back following an 18-month retirement.
Williams has now won five Australian Open titles,
(Reporting by Greg Stutchbury; Editing by Peter Rutherford; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Libyan militants overrun Benghazi special forces base as chaos deepens
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza Strip |
- Subdued investment banking hits Barclays profits |
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- More violence in China's Xinjiang, prominent academic indicted