- Actor James Gandolfini, star of 'The Sopranos,' dies in Italy
- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
US slams irregularities in Sudan election
WASHINGTON, April 20 |
WASHINGTON, April 20 (Reuters) - The White House charged on Tuesday that Sudan's national election was plagued by "serious irregularities" and said the United States was committed to helping ensure a 2011 referendum on southern independence was conducted fairly.
"The United States regrets that Sudan's National Elections Commission did not do more to prevent and address such problems prior to voting," the White House said in a statement.
Sudan this month held its first open polls in 24 years as part of a peace deal that was supposed to bring the oil-producing nation back to democracy after decades of civil war. (Reporting by Matt Spetalnick)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this