UPDATE 1-Novellus Systems Q2 beats Wall Street
* Q2 EPS $0.66 vs est $0.60
* Rev $321.4 mln vs est $312 mln
* Bookings up 64 pct
July 12 (Reuters) - Novellus Systems Inc NVLS.O, which provides equipment for the semiconductor industry, posted quarterly results above expectations, helped by a surge in bookings and shipments. For the second quarter, the chip-gear maker reported net income of $63.3 million, or 66 cents per share, compared with a loss of $50 million, or 55 cents per share, a year ago.
Net sales for the company, which competes with Applied Materials Inc (AMAT.O), nearly tripled to $321.4 million.
Bookings rose 64 percent to $384.9 million, while shipments rose 49 percent to $332.1 million, sequentially.
Analysts on average were looking for earnings of 60 cents a share, excluding items, on revenue of $312 million, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
This current upturn in semiconductor demand is being fueled by growth in a wide spectrum of electronics products, Chief Executive Richard Hill said in a statement.
"We anticipate that the 'gentrification' of the worldwide communications infrastructure along with increased public-sector IT investment and growth in China consumerism will continue to support a multi-year recovery in the semiconductor equipment industry," he added.
Shares of the San Jose, California-based company closed at $26.71 Monday on Nasdaq. (Reporting by Mansi Dutta in Bangalore; Editing by Don Sebastian)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health