Tennis-Azarenka pulls out of San Diego
STANFORD, California, August 1
STANFORD, California, August 1 (Reuters) - Newly-crowned Stanford Classic champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus has pulled out of next week's tournament in San Diego, her agent said on Sunday.
Azarenka won her first title of the year by beating Russia's Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-1 on Sunday, but her agent said the Belarusian had sustained a right shoulder injury and would skip San Diego.
Former world number one Jelena Jankovic is top seed at the tournament, followed by fifth-ranked Samantha Stosur of Australia, Russia's Vera Zvonareva and Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska.
(Editing by Ian Ransom; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Moyes left all at sea by scale of United job, says former coach
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels; Russia starts drill near border |