Tennis-Azarenka pulls out of San Diego
STANFORD, California, August 1
STANFORD, California, August 1 (Reuters) - Newly-crowned Stanford Classic champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus has pulled out of next week's tournament in San Diego, her agent said on Sunday.
Azarenka won her first title of the year by beating Russia's Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-1 on Sunday, but her agent said the Belarusian had sustained a right shoulder injury and would skip San Diego.
Former world number one Jelena Jankovic is top seed at the tournament, followed by fifth-ranked Samantha Stosur of Australia, Russia's Vera Zvonareva and Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska.
(Editing by Ian Ransom; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Germany's Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform - Sunday Times
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |