Tennis-Azarenka pulls out of San Diego
STANFORD, California, August 1
STANFORD, California, August 1 (Reuters) - Newly-crowned Stanford Classic champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus has pulled out of next week's tournament in San Diego, her agent said on Sunday.
Azarenka won her first title of the year by beating Russia's Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-1 on Sunday, but her agent said the Belarusian had sustained a right shoulder injury and would skip San Diego.
Former world number one Jelena Jankovic is top seed at the tournament, followed by fifth-ranked Samantha Stosur of Australia, Russia's Vera Zvonareva and Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska.
(Editing by Ian Ransom; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California
- Judge rejects strict limits on U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients |