Tennis-Injured Radwanska to miss rest of season
BEIJING Oct 4 (Reuters) - Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska will not play again this season and could miss the Australian Open in January because of a stress fracture to her foot.
"I'm done for this year with a very serious injury, a stress fracture. It's a complicated injury and there's some chance it won't be healed in time for Australia. We will see and I just have to hope I will be ready," the world number 11 said after losing her first round match Monday at the China Open in Beijing.
"I have an excuse for losing today. I just realized how serious the injury was just before I came to Asia to play in Tokyo and Beijing. I'll be pulling out for the rest of this year."
Radwanska, 21, was not sure where she picked up the injury but it clearly hindered her performance in the Chinese capital where the sixth seed lost to German Angelique Kerber 7-5 6-7 5-7.
"I'm probably not going to make a top 10 finish as I won't be playing the in last two tournaments of the year and the other girls are playing well," she added.
"It's been a good year and I think I should finish in the top 15."
(Editing by Justin Palmer
To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed crashed |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- CORRECTED-WRAPUP 1-Malaysia Airlines denies crash report, says plane still missing
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |