Factbox - Chelsea facts and figures
(Reuters) - Facts and figures regarding Chelsea who travel to FC Copenhagen for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 match on Tuesday:
* Since the end of the Champions League group stage at the beginning of December, Chelsea have seen their hopes of retaining their league title fade, winning only four of their 10 league matches and failing to score in their last two against Liverpool and Fulham.
* The chance of retaining at least one half of the FA Cup and League double they won last season ended Saturday when they were beaten 4-3 by Everton on penalties after drawing their fourth-round cup replay 1-1 at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea have now won just one of their last five matches in all competitions.
* While their form has been poor on the pitch, the club's owner, Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, was busy behind the scenes last month, financing the British record transfer fee of 50 million pounds ($81.27 million) for Fernando Torres from Liverpool with defender David Luiz also arriving from Benfica for 21 million pounds.
* Torres, who has been substituted in his two matches for Chelsea to date and has yet to score, will be hoping to make a better impression Tuesday, but Luiz is ineligible for the match.
* Chelsea travel to Copenhagen with no major injury worries, although coach Carlo Ancelotti might be worried about his own future unless Chelsea's form starts showing a significant improvement soon.
(Compiled by Mike Collett; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Libyan militants overrun Benghazi special forces base as chaos deepens
- At least 43 Palestinians killed as Israel maintains pressure on Gaza |
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine