No army, police in Libya battleground town:witness
RAS JDIR, Tunisia
RAS JDIR, Tunisia Feb 25 (Reuters) - Libyan security forces have not been able to enter Zawiyah, a town about 50 km (30 miles) west of the capital which was the scene of heavy fighting with government opponents, a witness said on Friday.
"There are army and police checkpoints around Zawiyah but there is no presence inside. I just saw a few unarmed civilians," said Saeed Mustafa, who drove through the town on Friday on his way to the Tunisian border. (Reporting by Michael Georgy; Writing by Christian Lowe; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- UPDATE 6-Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Ukraine rebels say they are poised to recapture Donetsk airport |