Tsunami begins to take shape on Hawaiian shores
HONOLULU (Reuters) - The first signs of a tsunami began to wash up on the shores of Hawaii early on Friday, as waves seen on local television footage steadily rose over southern beaches on the island of Oahu.
Hawaii ordered evacuations of its coastal areas and braced for a tidal wave hours after a massive 8.9 earthquake in Japan, 3,800 miles (6,200 km) away, triggered a tsunami warning across most of the Pacific basin, including northern California and Oregon.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia