Tsunami begins to take shape on Hawaiian shores
HONOLULU (Reuters) - The first signs of a tsunami began to wash up on the shores of Hawaii early on Friday, as waves seen on local television footage steadily rose over southern beaches on the island of Oahu.
Hawaii ordered evacuations of its coastal areas and braced for a tidal wave hours after a massive 8.9 earthquake in Japan, 3,800 miles (6,200 km) away, triggered a tsunami warning across most of the Pacific basin, including northern California and Oregon.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hague court orders Russia to pay $50 billion in Yukos case
- Gaza fighting flares, Netanyahu and U.N. chief spar on truce terms |
- Russia, Germany up diplomatic battle over Ukraine sanctions
- Pushing locals aside, Russians take top rebel posts in east Ukraine
- Ukraine claims more territory as fight intensifies with rebels