Tsunami begins to take shape on Hawaiian shores
HONOLULU (Reuters) - The first signs of a tsunami began to wash up on the shores of Hawaii early on Friday, as waves seen on local television footage steadily rose over southern beaches on the island of Oahu.
Hawaii ordered evacuations of its coastal areas and braced for a tidal wave hours after a massive 8.9 earthquake in Japan, 3,800 miles (6,200 km) away, triggered a tsunami warning across most of the Pacific basin, including northern California and Oregon.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Russian forces strengthening positions in Ukraine - Kiev military