Tsunami begins to take shape on Hawaiian shores
HONOLULU (Reuters) - The first signs of a tsunami began to wash up on the shores of Hawaii early on Friday, as waves seen on local television footage steadily rose over southern beaches on the island of Oahu.
Hawaii ordered evacuations of its coastal areas and braced for a tidal wave hours after a massive 8.9 earthquake in Japan, 3,800 miles (6,200 km) away, triggered a tsunami warning across most of the Pacific basin, including northern California and Oregon.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Germany's Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform - Sunday Times
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |