UK Catholics given prayer for William and Kate
LONDON (Reuters Life!) - The Catholic church in England and Wales has issued a prayer to bless the upcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton -- even though Catholics themselves are banned from becoming a British king or queen.
The prayer asks for God's blessing upon the couple, who will get married on April 29, "as they pledge their love for each other in marriage."
"May your love unite them through their lives. Grant them the strength to serve you, our country and the Commonwealth with integrity and faithfulness," it adds.
The prayer has been issued by the church even though a 300-year-old British law forbids any Catholic, or anyone even married to a Catholic, from taking the throne.
There are some 5.2 million Catholics in England and Wales.
(Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Paul Casciato)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked