Ryan Giggs sues News of the World over phone hacking
LONDON (Reuters) - Manchester United star Ryan Giggs has joined a growing list of celebrities suing the News of the World for illegally intercepting their voicemail messages, his lawyers revealed on Thursday.
"Proceedings relating to phone hacking were issued on behalf of Ryan Giggs in the High Court against News Group Newspapers Ltd, the publishers of News of the World, and Glenn Mulcaire," Giggs's law firm Schillings said.
Mulcaire is a private detective convicted in 2007 along with the News of the World's then royal editor for voicemail hacking. The case was closed but was reopened this year after new evidence emerged.
Dozens of actors, politicians and sportspeople including Hollywood star Jude Law are now suing the newspaper, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp media empire, for allegedly trawling their phone messages for scandal to sell newspapers.
The affair has cast a shadow over News Corp's $14 billion (8.7 billion pound) attempt to buy the 61 percent of satellite broadcaster BSkyB it does not already own, with critics saying the scandal shows the company is not fit to own more UK media.
News International, parent company of the best-selling Sunday, said it was aware of Giggs's claim and also said that its Chief Executive Rebekah Brooks had her own voicemail hacked while she was editor of The Sun.
"News International can confirm that Rebekah Brooks was recently shown documents by the police that proved she was a victim of illegal voicemail interception," the newspaper arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp media empire said.
News International said the documents related to a period around 2005 when Brooks, the first female editor of the Sun, was married to actor Ross Kemp, who was famous for playing Grant Mitchell in EastEnders.
Giggs previously obtained a court order banning the reporting of an extra-marital affair.
Other alleged victims of the News of the World's voicemail hacking include former Prime Minister Gordon Brown, ex-footballer Paul Gascoigne and comedian Steve Coogan.
Actress Sienna Miller, Jude Law's ex-girlfriend, has accepted 100,000 pounds in damages from News International after the news group admitted liability in a few cases including hers.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Judge rejects isolation for U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California