- Actor James Gandolfini, star of 'The Sopranos,' dies in Italy
- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
Egypt ex-agriculture min charged with misappropriation
CAIRO Aug 11 (Reuters) - Egyptian state investigators accused a former agriculture minister and a businessman with illegally confiscating land, state media reported on Thursday.
"Former Agriculture Minister Amin Abaza and businessman Amr Mansi ... are to be sent to Ismailia criminal court in the case of Amr Mansi confiscating massive lands in Sinai and Ismailia with no right," official news agency MENA reported.
The investigation began in February, a few days after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising.
Both were banned from travelling and had their assets frozen. They were also accused of wasting public funds.
Several former ministers, officials and businessmen are on trial for corruption as state investigators probe the dealings of the wealthy political and business elite around Mubarak. (Reporting by Ahmed Tolba; Writing by Yasmine Saleh; Editing by Louise Ireland)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this