Chloe Smith appointed new economic secretary
LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron appointed Chloe Smith as his new economic secretary following the resignation of Defence Secretary Liam Fox, Cameron's office said on Friday.
Smith, a Conservative, replaces Justine Greening in the junior Treasury post, supporting Chancellor George Osborne and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander in delivering austerity measures to narrow a record budget deficit.
Greening was moved to take over from Philip Hammond, Fox's replacement, at the transport ministry.
The economic secretary is charged with handling areas such as North Sea oil taxation, the European Union budget, environmental issues and excise duties.
(Reporting by Matt Falloon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- UPDATE 10-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia