Chloe Smith appointed new economic secretary
LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron appointed Chloe Smith as his new economic secretary following the resignation of Defence Secretary Liam Fox, Cameron's office said on Friday.
Smith, a Conservative, replaces Justine Greening in the junior Treasury post, supporting Chancellor George Osborne and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander in delivering austerity measures to narrow a record budget deficit.
Greening was moved to take over from Philip Hammond, Fox's replacement, at the transport ministry.
The economic secretary is charged with handling areas such as North Sea oil taxation, the European Union budget, environmental issues and excise duties.
(Reporting by Matt Falloon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Turkish women laugh online to protest deputy PM's remarks
- Libyan militants overrun Benghazi special forces base as chaos deepens
- Glazers to raise $150 million by cutting Manchester United stake
- Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources