- Actor James Gandolfini, star of 'The Sopranos,' dies in Italy
- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
At least 38 dead in Haitian shipwreck off Cuba
HAVANA (Reuters) - At least 38 people died on Saturday when a boat carrying Haitian migrants sunk off the coast of Guantanamo province in far eastern Cuban, Cuban television reported.
It said 87 people, including seven women, were rescued after Cuban civil defence forces spotted the boat 100 meters off Punta Maisi, which is about 600 miles (1,000 km) southeast of Havana.
There were no details on possible cause of the accident or the destination of the boat, but search and rescue efforts were still underway, the report said.
The dead included 21 men and 17 women, it said.
(Reporting by Nelson Acosta; editing by Jeff Franks)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this