BREAKINGVIEWS-New financial watchdogs won't thrill Wall Street
WASHINGTON/NEW YORK, March 30 (Reuters Breakingviews) - C ongress has finally given the nod to some of President Obama’s appointees to the FDIC and OCC. None of the fresh faces is likely to rock the boat much. But one of the banks’ stronger supporters is now gone and the new guard has little reason to push back against Dodd-Frank.
Full view will be published shortly.
SIGN UP FOR BREAKINGVIEWS EMAIL ALERTS: www.breakingviews.com/TOPNewsSubscription
- On March 29, the U.S. Senate confirmed Thomas Curry as head of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, one of the nation’s bank regulators. Lawmakers, however, did not confirm Martin Gruenberg or former Federal Reserve of Kansas City president Thomas Hoenig as Federal Deposit Insurance Corp chairman and vice-chairman, respectively. Instead, the Senate confirmed them as FDIC board members. Gruenberg has been acting FDIC chairman since Sheila Bair stepped down in July.
- Reuters: U.S. Senate confirms top bank regulators [ID:nS1E78J1CA]
Time to govern [ID:nL1E8ELK86]
Diss appointment [ID:nN1E8030AR]
No head, some teeth [ID:nN1E7BC0SO]
(The authors are Reuters Breakingviews columnists. The opinions expressed are their own.)
- For previous columns, Reuters customers can click on [INDI/] and [CRANE/]
((email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org)) Keywords: BREAKINGVIEWS USA/REGULATION
(C) Reuters 2012. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing, or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise budget
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day