Olympics-Tennis-Heartbroken Petkovic ruled out of London Games
July 18 (Reuters) - Germany's world number 18 Andrea Petkovic will miss the London Olympics after failing to recover from an ankle injury that prevented her playing at the French Open and Wimbledon.
"Really sorry to announce that I will not be competing at the Olympic Games," she said on her Twitter feed. "I'm heartbroken and sad as can be but I'm just not ready yet."
Petkovic tore ankle ligaments at the Stuttgart Grand Prix in April having just returned from a stress fracture of her back.
Bosnian-born Petkovic was one of four German women to qualify for the Olympic singles, along with Angelique Kerber, Sabine Lisicki and Julia Goerges.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Gaza truce over, Israel soldier captured, 70 dead in Rafah shelling |
- Britain's RBS places restrictions on lending in Russia
- Experts recover human remains at Ukraine crash site despite new fighting
- Campaign for an independent Scotland stalls before historic vote
- India says WTO deal not dead, can sign in September if concerns addressed