Olympics-Tennis-Heartbroken Petkovic ruled out of London Games
July 18 (Reuters) - Germany's world number 18 Andrea Petkovic will miss the London Olympics after failing to recover from an ankle injury that prevented her playing at the French Open and Wimbledon.
"Really sorry to announce that I will not be competing at the Olympic Games," she said on her Twitter feed. "I'm heartbroken and sad as can be but I'm just not ready yet."
Petkovic tore ankle ligaments at the Stuttgart Grand Prix in April having just returned from a stress fracture of her back.
Bosnian-born Petkovic was one of four German women to qualify for the Olympic singles, along with Angelique Kerber, Sabine Lisicki and Julia Goerges.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video
- Merkel says tightening Ukraine-Russian border is key to peace deal |
- Bombs kill at least 35 across Iraq a day after mosque shooting |
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky, Syria activist says