Olympics-Tennis-Heartbroken Petkovic ruled out of London Games
July 18 (Reuters) - Germany's world number 18 Andrea Petkovic will miss the London Olympics after failing to recover from an ankle injury that prevented her playing at the French Open and Wimbledon.
"Really sorry to announce that I will not be competing at the Olympic Games," she said on her Twitter feed. "I'm heartbroken and sad as can be but I'm just not ready yet."
Petkovic tore ankle ligaments at the Stuttgart Grand Prix in April having just returned from a stress fracture of her back.
Bosnian-born Petkovic was one of four German women to qualify for the Olympic singles, along with Angelique Kerber, Sabine Lisicki and Julia Goerges.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking |
- Separatists take armoured vehicles, humiliating Ukraine forces |
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Ocean floor search for missing Malaysia plane cut short again |
- Tesco to step up price cuts as CEO defies pressure to quit |