Olympics-Monfils withdraws from tennis competition
LONDON, July 20
LONDON, July 20 (Reuters) - Frenchman Gael Monfils has become the latest player to withdraw from the Olympic tennis competition, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said on Friday.
In a statement the governing body said the world number 15 had been injured with his place in the singles draw going to compatriot Julien Benneteau.
Benneteau, who led Roger Federer by two sets at Wimbledon this year, joins countryman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Gilles Simon and Richard Gasquet in the men's singles.
Defending men's singles champion Rafa Nadal pulled out on Thursday with knee problems while Germany's Andrea Petkovic's ankle injury has led to her withdrawal from the women's singles.
The tennis tournament runs from July 28-Aug 5 at Wimbledon.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- WRAPUP 6-Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Indian Wells men's singles round 2 results