Lonmin says upstart union AMCU has 21 percent of its South Africa workers
MARIKANA, South Africa
MARIKANA, South Africa (Reuters) - World No. 3 platinum producer Lonmin LMI.l said on Tuesday an upstart union, AMCU, blamed for recent deadly violence at one of its South African mines, now had 21 percent of the company's 28,000 employees as its members.
A turf war between the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) and the dominant National Union of Mineworkers caused clashes that killed nine people, including two policemen, on Sunday and Monday at Lonmin's Marikana mine.
(Reporting by Sherilee Lakmidas; Editing by Ed Stoddard)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- RBS takes 400 million pound forex hit and warns more to come
- British banks buoyed by new rules on risk buffers
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows |