Lonmin says upstart union AMCU has 21 percent of its South Africa workers
MARIKANA, South Africa
MARIKANA, South Africa (Reuters) - World No. 3 platinum producer Lonmin LMI.l said on Tuesday an upstart union, AMCU, blamed for recent deadly violence at one of its South African mines, now had 21 percent of the company's 28,000 employees as its members.
A turf war between the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) and the dominant National Union of Mineworkers caused clashes that killed nine people, including two policemen, on Sunday and Monday at Lonmin's Marikana mine.
(Reporting by Sherilee Lakmidas; Editing by Ed Stoddard)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hurricane-force winds wreak havoc in Britain, head to Europe
- Air traffic computer fault hits flights from England
- Mexico hospitalizes six suspected of stealing radioactive material
- North Korea frees U.S. Korean War veteran after seven weeks |
- Cricket-England 172 all out v Australia (570-9d) second test - innings