Lonmin says upstart union AMCU has 21 percent of its South Africa workers
MARIKANA, South Africa
MARIKANA, South Africa (Reuters) - World No. 3 platinum producer Lonmin LMI.l said on Tuesday an upstart union, AMCU, blamed for recent deadly violence at one of its South African mines, now had 21 percent of the company's 28,000 employees as its members.
A turf war between the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) and the dominant National Union of Mineworkers caused clashes that killed nine people, including two policemen, on Sunday and Monday at Lonmin's Marikana mine.
(Reporting by Sherilee Lakmidas; Editing by Ed Stoddard)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- ECB cools speculation over bank health checks ahead of results
- Bank of England minutes add to signs rate hike on back burner
- Embarrassed Williams suffers humbling defeat
- No Russia-Ukraine gas deal at EU talks; Moscow queries finances |