Tennis-Djokovic blasts his way into Cincinnati final
MASON, Ohio Aug 18 (Reuters) - World number two Novak Djokovic proved too powerful for Juan Martin del Potro on Saturday, beating the Argentine 6-3 6-2 to reach the final of the Cincinnati Masters.
Djokovic next plays the winner of Saturday's all-Swiss clash between top seed Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka.
The Serb gained revenge for his defeat by Del Potro in the bronze-medal match at the London Olympics as he powered into his 22nd Masters 1000 final.
A tight first set turned in Djokovic's favour when sixth seed Del Potro double-faulted on break point to let his opponent go 4-2 ahead.
It was relatively straightforward in the second set after Djokovic took advantage of some loose returns to break and go 2-1 up. (Editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, Salmond resigns |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- China hands drugmaker GSK record $489 million fine for paying bribes
- Austrian leader says Putin sees progress in Ukraine crisis