Tennis-Sharapova seeking third Pan Pacific title
TOKYO Aug 20 (Reuters) - Nine of the world's top 10 players, including French Open champion Maria Sharapova, will compete in next month's Pan Pacific Open.
World number one Victoria Azarenka of Belarus leads the field for the $2.16 million tournament, organisers of the Tokyo women's event said on Monday.
Azarenka won her first grand slam title at the Australian Open earlier this year.
Wimbledon and Olympic champion Serena Williams is the one notable absentee from the entry list for the Sept. 23-29 hardcourt event.
Sharapova is a twice former Pan Pacific winner, in 2005 and 2009, while defending champion Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland and 2010 winner Caroline Wozniacki are also among a strong field.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles quarterfinals results
- Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead |
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Pope Good Friday service underscores plight of the suffering