Germany says new EU sanctions on Iran needed soon
PAPHOS, Cyprus, Sept 7
PAPHOS, Cyprus, Sept 7 (Reuters) - The European Union should impose a new round of sanctions against Iran soon, possibly within weeks, because of Tehran's lack of cooperation in international talks over its nuclear programme, Germany's foreign minister said on Friday.
"Sanctions are necessary and soon. I can't see there is really a constructive will on the Iranian side for substantial talks," Guide Westerwelle told Reuters on the sidelines of a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Cyprus.
"If they will not come back to the table, then probably the next round is necessary. This is not something for next year, we are talking about next weeks," he said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll