Tennis-Ferrer holds off Isner to put Spain in final
GIJON, Spain, Sept 16
GIJON, Spain, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Holders Spain clinched a berth in their fourth Davis Cup final in five years when David Ferrer helped secure an unassailable 3-1 lead over the United States in the last-four tie in Gijon on Sunday.
World number five Ferrer had to fight from a set down on the clay in the northern Spanish city, coming through 6-7 6-3 6-4 6-2 against the 10th-ranked John Isner for his 16th victory in 16 singles rubbers on clay. (Writing by Iain Rogers in Madrid, editing by Tom Pilcher)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'open aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- Israel claims West Bank land for possible settlement use, draws U.S. rebuke