Ibrahimovic will score more than 30 league goals - Papin
PARIS (Reuters) - Zlatan Ibrahimovic will become the first player since Jean-Pierre Papin to score at least 30 goals in a French league season, the former France striker predicted on Tuesday.
Sweden's Ibrahimovic, who joined Paris St Germain from AC Milan during the close season, has already netted seven goals in the opening six rounds of matches and is on course to break the 30-goal barrier Papin was the last to reach in 1990.
"He is impressive. I think he will beat my record of 30 goals in one season," Papin, who reached the tally when playing for Olympique Marseille, told French daily Le Parisien.
Papin, who scored 30 goals in 54 caps with France, believes however that Ibrahimovic will fall short of the French professional-era record of Josip Skoblar, who netted 44 goals in the 1970/71 season for Marseille.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Masked gunmen slay family collecting body at Honduras morgue, kill 9
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- U.S. military failed in rescue attempt for journalist Foley |
- UK retail sales growth falls to eight-month low, public finances weak
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |