AMD plans layoffs after recent rev warning: source
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc is planning significant layoffs, after the chipmaker warned this week its quarterly revenue would fall due to a weak global economy, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The source, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters the layoffs would be close to a range of 10 percent to 20 percent.
As of February, AMD had 11,705 employees worldwide.
Technology blogs including CNET and All Things D reported earlier that AMD could cut between 20 percent and 30 percent of its workforce.
AMD declined to comment.
On Thursday, AMD warned that its third-quarter revenue likely fell about 10 percent from the previous quarter.
(Reporting By Noel Randewich; editing by Carol Bishopric)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Survivors still alive on South Korean ferry - father |
- Search for Malaysia Airlines jet refocuses on drone scans of seafloor
- Three dead in east Ukraine, Putin warns of 'abyss' |
- India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining strength
- Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident |