AMD plans layoffs after recent rev warning: source
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc is planning significant layoffs, after the chipmaker warned this week its quarterly revenue would fall due to a weak global economy, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The source, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters the layoffs would be close to a range of 10 percent to 20 percent.
As of February, AMD had 11,705 employees worldwide.
Technology blogs including CNET and All Things D reported earlier that AMD could cut between 20 percent and 30 percent of its workforce.
AMD declined to comment.
On Thursday, AMD warned that its third-quarter revenue likely fell about 10 percent from the previous quarter.
(Reporting By Noel Randewich; editing by Carol Bishopric)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Cameron says he's 'nervous' over Scottish independence vote
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- China and Hong Kong poised for showdown over democracy
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says