Tennis-Azarenka to finish year as world number one after win
ISTANBUL Oct 26 (Reuters) - Victoria Azarenka will end the year as world number one after the Belarussian beat China's Li Na 7-6 6-3 at the season-ending WTA Championships on Friday.
Azarenka's victory meant she finished second in Group A behind Serena Williams.
The American won all three of her round-robin matches while the world number one registered two victories and a defeat by Williams.
Both players have qualified for the semi-finals. (Editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, Salmond resigns |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- China hands drugmaker GSK record $489 million fine for paying bribes
- Salmond concedes defeat, demands more Scottish powers fast