EU funds are not for Spain bank shareholders - Almunia
MADRID (Reuters) - European Union rescue funds cannot be used to compensate shareholders in Spain who lost money on bank preference shares, the EU's competition chief Joaquin Almunia said on Monday.
"If it is necessary to compensate (shareholders) it can only be done with money from Spain," Almunia told reporters at a breakfast in Madrid.
(Reporting By Robert Hetz, writing by Sarah Morris, editing by Jesus Aguado)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Russian-backed separatists enter southeast Ukraine town
- China urges Japan to break from aggressive past after Abe honours war criminals
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence