EU funds are not for Spain bank shareholders - Almunia
MADRID (Reuters) - European Union rescue funds cannot be used to compensate shareholders in Spain who lost money on bank preference shares, the EU's competition chief Joaquin Almunia said on Monday.
"If it is necessary to compensate (shareholders) it can only be done with money from Spain," Almunia told reporters at a breakfast in Madrid.
(Reporting By Robert Hetz, writing by Sarah Morris, editing by Jesus Aguado)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Australia Union wanted to rip up Beale contract - chairman
- Judge rejects isolation for U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients |