Qatar calls for new Syria opposition body to be recognised
DOHA (Reuters) - Qatar said on Sunday the new umbrella group uniting opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad inside and outside Syria should be recognised as the only legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
"Trust us that we will strive from now on to have this new body recognised completely by all parties ... as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people," Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim told reporters.
He said Qatar would lead discussions at the Arab League, Gulf Cooperation Council, and with the United States and European allies, to win the group such recognition.
(Reporting by Rania El Gamal; Writing by Andrew Hammond; Editing by Sophie Hares)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |