Spanish police clash with protesters in Madrid
MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish anti-riot police and protesters clashed on Wednesday in central Madrid during a general strike. Two protesters were arrested and police hit others with night-sticks, witnesses said.
Millions of workers across southern Europe were on strike to protest against government spending cuts. Earlier, police arrested 42 people around Spain as scuffles broke out at picket lines.
The biggest strikes are in Spain and Portugal, where transport and factories were widely affected.
(Reporting by Carlos Ruano; Writing by Fiona Ortiz; Editing by Will Waterman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day