Former Manchester United winger Morgans dies aged 73
LONDON (Reuters) - Former Manchester United winger and survivor of the 1958 Munich air disaster Kenny Morgans has died aged 73, the club said on Sunday.
Morgans was taken ill on Saturday and later passed away in hospital, the Manchester United website (www.manutd.com) reported.
The Welshman made his debut for United against Leicester City on 21 December 1957 at the age of 18.
He was injured when the plane carrying United home from a European Cup tie in Belgrade crashed on February 6, 1958 after a refuelling stop at Munich, killing 23 of the 44 people on board.
Morgans was found later that evening in the wreckage by two German reporters. He was able to continue his playing career and left Old Trafford in 1961 to join Swansea City and later Newport County before retiring in 1967.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Ukraine leader says Russian forces are in the country as key town falls
- Ukraine accuses Russia of bringing in troops
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence