US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Wall St rises on budget talk optimism
NEW YORK Nov 19 (Reuters) - U.S. stock opened higher on Monday, with the S&P 500 rising 1 percent, as signs of progress in talks to resolve the fiscal crunch heartened investors at the start of a holiday-shortened week.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 100.14 points, or 0.80 percent, to 12,688.45. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index rose 13.76 points, or 1.01 percent, to 1,373.64. The Nasdaq Composite Index climbed 33.70 points, or 1.18 percent, to 2,886.83.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes - coastguard
- Separatists fly Russian flag over Ukrainian armoured vehicles |
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Unemployment plunges to five-year low, pay grows
- Tesco to step up price cuts as CEO defies pressure to quit |