Dortmund's Bender breaks nose, can play at Mainz
BERLIN (Reuters) - Borussia Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender has been cleared to play in Saturday's league match at Mainz 05 despite breaking his nose in their 4-1 Champions League win at Ajax Amsterdam, coach Juergen Klopp said on Thursday.
Bender, who broke facial bones in two injuries last season, was elbowed in the face and taken off after 63 minutes of Wednesday's game.
"It is confirmed that Bender broke his nose," the club said in a statement on Thursday after conducting further tests on the player. "The team doctor has ruled he can play against Mainz."
"Maybe (Sebastian) Kehl's mask fits Manni (Bender)," joked coach Klopp earlier in the day.
Dortmund captain Kehl also broke his nose earlier this season and played with a face mask.
The German champions, who advanced to the Champions League knockout stage, are nine points behind leaders Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga in fourth place.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Obama announces action on sweeping U.S. immigration reform
- Obama announces action on sweeping U.S. immigration reform |
- Obama's immigration plan offers some relief, risk for tech sector
- Exclusive - U.S. increasing non-lethal military aid to Ukraine
- Cable & Wireless helped Britain spy on the world - Channel 4