Sport-Wiggins wins British Sports Journalists award
LONDON Dec 6 (Reuters) - Bradley Wiggins, winner of the Tour de France and the London Olympic time-trial champion, was named the Sports Journalists Association of Britain's sportsman of the year on Thursday.
Wiggins, the first Briton to triumph in cycling's most famous tour, topped the poll of journalists ahead of double Olympic middle-distance gold medal winner Mo Farah and U.S. Open tennis champion Andy Murray.
London Games heptathlon winner Jessica Ennis captured the sportswoman award for the third time in four years, having polled two-thirds of the votes cast.
Olympic rowing gold medallist Katherine Grainger was runner-up ahead of double Games cycling champion Laura Trott.
Ennis also won the Pat Besford Trophy for the outstanding performance of the year.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |