Sport-Wiggins wins British Sports Journalists award
LONDON Dec 6 (Reuters) - Bradley Wiggins, winner of the Tour de France and the London Olympic time-trial champion, was named the Sports Journalists Association of Britain's sportsman of the year on Thursday.
Wiggins, the first Briton to triumph in cycling's most famous tour, topped the poll of journalists ahead of double Olympic middle-distance gold medal winner Mo Farah and U.S. Open tennis champion Andy Murray.
London Games heptathlon winner Jessica Ennis captured the sportswoman award for the third time in four years, having polled two-thirds of the votes cast.
Olympic rowing gold medallist Katherine Grainger was runner-up ahead of double Games cycling champion Laura Trott.
Ennis also won the Pat Besford Trophy for the outstanding performance of the year.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed - Algerian official
- Exclusive - Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Zidane makes mystery man Markkanen his first Madrid signing
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers
- At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school - Health Ministry |