US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall Street jumps at open on fiscal deal
NEW YORK Jan 2 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks soared on the first day of trading in 2013 after U.S. lawmakers agreed a deal to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts that had threatened to hurt economic growth.
The Dow Jones industrial average surged 149.41 points, or 1.14 percent, at 13,253.55. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was up 19.17 points, or 1.34 percent, at 1,445.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 74.47 points, or 2.47 percent, at 3,093.98.
Wednesday marked the best day for the Nasdaq since June 30.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- WRAPUP 8-Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |