Golf-Kaymer, Garcia, Lawrie to play in Qatar Masters
Jan 7 (Reuters) - European Ryder Cup trio Martin Kaymer, Sergio Garcia and Paul Lawrie will compete at this month's $2.5 million Qatar Masters, organisers said on Monday.
Kaymer, who holed the putt that ensured Europe retained the Ryder Cup against the United States in Illinois in September, has a good record in the Middle East having won the Abu Dhabi Championship three times.
"I'm playing well after a slow start to last season and it was great to finish the year with a trophy in South Africa," the German said about his win in last month's Sun City Challenge.
"The excitement of the Ryder Cup was amazing. I may never experience a moment like that again. I'm still proud I was able to come through for my team mates," Kaymer told the official tournament website (www.qatar-masters.com).
Scot Lawrie will be defending the Qatar Masters title he won 12 months ago.
The Jan. 23-26 tournament is part of the European Tour's Middle East swing which also includes next week's Abu Dhabi event featuring world number one Rory McIlroy and 14-times major winner Tiger Woods and the Jan. 31-Feb. 3 Dubai Desert Classic. (Writing by Tony Jimenez; Editing by Alastair Himmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Ukraine launches 'gradual' operation, action limited |
- More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks - coastguard
- Poland: NATO should send troops to east Europe, ignore Russia's objections
- UPDATE 16-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles results