Golf-Donald to make Malaysian Open debut in March
Jan 8 (Reuters) - World number two Luke Donald will make his debut at the Malaysian Open this year, organisers said on Tuesday.
The tournament, co-sanctioned by the Asian and European tours, is to be held at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club from March 21-24.
"Donald's presence, like many other top players we have had in the past, will not only draw the crowd but also strengthen Malaysia's standing on the global golfing map," said Megat Zaharuddin Megat Mohamad Nor, chairman of sponsors Maybank, in a statement.
Rory McIlroy, Louis Oosthuizen, Martin Kaymer and Charl Schwartzel are among the leading golfers who have played in previous editions of the tournament which this year will have an increased prize fund of $2.75 million, up $250,000 on 2012. (Writing by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hurricane-force winds wreak havoc in Britain, head to Europe
- Air traffic computer fault hits flights from England
- Jailed Islamist women to go free, Egyptian court rules
- Nobel economics winner Fama says risk of global recession in 2014
- Syrian Islamists seize Western-backed rebel bases -monitoring group