Pakistani Taliban say they will not attack army in key region
PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Pakistani Taliban said on Saturday they would not attack the Pakistani army in the Taliban stronghold of North Waziristan but concentrate attacks on NATO forces in Afghanistan instead.
Thousands of Pakistani soldiers are stationed in North Waziristan, along the Afghan border. There have been infrequent clashes there between the soldiers and Taliban but a leaflet issued by Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud ordered those to stop. A senior commander confirmed the pamphlet's veracity.
(Reporting By Katharine Houreld; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew as rescue hampered by tides |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault