Tennis-Sharapova serves up second successive double-bagel
MELBOURNE Jan 16 (Reuters) - A rampaging Maria Sharapova doled out a second consecutive double-bagel win at the Australian Open on Wednesday, hammering Japan's Misaki Doi 6-0 6-0 to storm into the third round of the year's first grand slam.
Second seed Sharapova opened her campaign on Monday with the same scoreline against fellow Russian Olga Puchkova and completed 92nd-ranked Doi's humiliation in 47 minutes.
Doi, raising ironic cheers from the crowd at Hisense Arena with every point she won late in the contest, surrendered the match by slamming a shot into the net to hand Sharapova a virtual walkover.
Sharapova will next play Venus Williams or Alize Cornet in the third round as she bids for a fifth grand slam and second at Melbourne Park.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Bodies, black boxes handed over from Ukraine crash site |
- Train with MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine base |
- Britain does U-turn on ex-KGB agent Litvinenko murder inquiry
- Shooting champion withdrawn after jacket goes missing
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |