France says French nationals held at Algeria gas facility
PARIS (Reuters) - French President Francois Hollande confirmed on Thursday that there were French nationals among Western hostages being held by Islamist militants at a gas plant in Algeria.
"There were and there are French nationals at this facility," Hollande told a news conference after a meeting with Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho.
Hollande said that while the situation was very confused, he had total faith in the Algerian authorities' ability to resolve the crisis and would be speaking to Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika later in the day.
(Reporting By John Irish and Catherine Bremer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- Exclusive - Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds 750 |
- Zidane makes mystery man Markkanen his first Madrid signing
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers