France says French nationals held at Algeria gas facility
PARIS (Reuters) - French President Francois Hollande confirmed on Thursday that there were French nationals among Western hostages being held by Islamist militants at a gas plant in Algeria.
"There were and there are French nationals at this facility," Hollande told a news conference after a meeting with Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho.
Hollande said that while the situation was very confused, he had total faith in the Algerian authorities' ability to resolve the crisis and would be speaking to Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika later in the day.
(Reporting By John Irish and Catherine Bremer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- With no sign of missing plane, search spreads far across land and sea |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Front companies, embassies mask North Korean weapons trade - U.N.
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Netanyahu, showing seized rockets, says Iran fooling the world