BP says hundreds of oil workers evacuated from Algeria
LONDON (Reuters) - Hundreds of workers from international oil companies have been evacuated from Algeria on Thursday and many more will follow, BP said on Friday following the al-Qaeda-linked attack on a major gas facility.
"Three flights left Algeria yesterday, carrying a total of eleven BP employees alongside several hundred staff from other companies," BP said in a statement.
The first flight arrived in London, the second two flights landed in Palma in Majorca overnight and staff on these planes are expected to transfer on to final destinations on Friday.
"A fourth plane is expected to transport further staff out of the country today and we will arrange further flights as necessary," BP said.
(Reporting by Dmitry Zhdannikov, editing by William Hardy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders
- Analysis - Bitcoin shows staying power as online merchants chase digital sparkle
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |