Tennis-Del Potro crashes out of third round at Melbourne Park
MELBOURNE Jan 19 (Reuters) - France's Jeremy Chardy sprung a major upset at the Australian Open on Saturday by dumping sixth seed Juan Martin del Potro out in the third round with a 6-3 6-3 6-7 3-6 6-3 victory.
The 36th-ranked Frenchman charged out of the blocks to take a two-set lead by dominating at the net, but the former U.S. Open champion served strongly to level.
Chardy captured the decisive break when leading 4-3 in the fifth set and calmly served out the three hour and 45 minute match, sealing it with an ace.
Chardy will next next play Andreas Seppi.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage