Tennis-Djokovic named Balkan athlete of the year
SOFIA Jan 22 (Reuters) - Serbia's world number one tennis player Novak Djokovic has been named Balkan Athlete of the Year, the Bulgarian state news agency (BTA) said on Tuesday.
Djokovic, who won the Australian Open last year before finishing runner-up at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, became the first Serb to scoop the prize since Yugoslavia collapsed in the early 1990s.
The 25-year-old beat Turkey's Asli Cakir Alptekin, who won the women's 1,500 metres gold at the London Olympics.
Croatian Sandra Perkovic, women's discus champion at the 2012 Games, came third in the annual poll. (Reporting by Angel Krasimirov, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China bars banks from bitcoin transactions
- Hurricane-force winds hit Scotland, close in on Germany
- Osborne says vindicated by growth rebound, vows to stay on course |
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- UK major threw laptop with sensitive Iraq photos from ferry