Tennis-Djokovic named Balkan athlete of the year
SOFIA Jan 22 (Reuters) - Serbia's world number one tennis player Novak Djokovic has been named Balkan Athlete of the Year, the Bulgarian state news agency (BTA) said on Tuesday.
Djokovic, who won the Australian Open last year before finishing runner-up at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, became the first Serb to scoop the prize since Yugoslavia collapsed in the early 1990s.
The 25-year-old beat Turkey's Asli Cakir Alptekin, who won the women's 1,500 metres gold at the London Olympics.
Croatian Sandra Perkovic, women's discus champion at the 2012 Games, came third in the annual poll. (Reporting by Angel Krasimirov, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Alexandra Hedison
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Barclays chairman defends staff bonuses as Standard Life leads shareholder protests
- Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane