Tennis-Djokovic named Balkan athlete of the year
SOFIA Jan 22 (Reuters) - Serbia's world number one tennis player Novak Djokovic has been named Balkan Athlete of the Year, the Bulgarian state news agency (BTA) said on Tuesday.
Djokovic, who won the Australian Open last year before finishing runner-up at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, became the first Serb to scoop the prize since Yugoslavia collapsed in the early 1990s.
The 25-year-old beat Turkey's Asli Cakir Alptekin, who won the women's 1,500 metres gold at the London Olympics.
Croatian Sandra Perkovic, women's discus champion at the 2012 Games, came third in the annual poll. (Reporting by Angel Krasimirov, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters
- Hong Kong crisis deepens after weekend clashes, talks set for Tuesday |
- Lufthansa cancels flights due to pilots strike; train stoppage strands millions |
- Comet makes rare close pass by Mars as spacecraft watch
- Germany plans tougher controls on would-be jihadists