European shares extend gains as U.S. stocks rise
LONDON Jan 24 (Reuters) - European shares extended gains on Thursday, with the market taking direction from an opening rise on Wall Street.
The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index was up by 0.1 percent to 1,169.32 points by 1455 GMT, close to an intraday high of 1,169.86 points.
The euro zone's blue-chip Euro STOXX 50 index also advanced by 0.3 percent to 2,715.04 points.
"Clients are feeling pretty positive on the markets in general at the moment," said a Geneva-based trader.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- ECB cools speculation over bank health checks ahead of results
- Bank of England minutes add to signs rate hike on back burner
- Tour de France organisers unveil sparkling 2015 route