Ten killed as bus slides off road in central Portugal
LISBON (Reuters) - At least 10 people were killed and 33 injured when a bus slid off a highway in central Portugal on Sunday and plummeted down a steep slope, emergency services said.
Officials did not say what caused the accident near the town of Serta but heavy rain was falling at the time.
The bus had Spanish license plates and belonged to a company registered in the Spanish town of Badajoz, local media reported.
"Doctors have confirmed 10 victims," the commander of emergency services in the region, Rui Esteves, told SIC television.
Six of the injured were in a serious condition, said officials.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Rescuers scour sea for Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |