Tennis-Kvitova to lead Czechs at start of Fed Cup defence
PRAGUE Jan 28 (Reuters) - World number eight Petra Kvitova, dumped out in the second round at the Australian Open, will lead the Czech Republic in their Fed Cup title defence when they take on Australia in a first round tie next month.
Czech captain Petr Pala will stick with the same squad that lifted the crown for a second straight year in November, including Lucie Safarova, Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka.
"I decided on a proven, winning team," Pala said in a statement.
The Czechs will begin their attempt at a third straight title in front of their home fans in the northeastern city of Ostrava on Feb. 9-10. (Reporting by Jason Hovet, editing by Mark Meadows)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters
- Hong Kong crisis deepens after weekend clashes, talks set for Tuesday |
- Lufthansa cancels flights due to pilots strike; train stoppage strands millions |
- Comet makes rare close pass by Mars as spacecraft watch
- Germany plans tougher controls on would-be jihadists