US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Defensive sectors lead Wall Street higher
NEW YORK Jan 29 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks advanced on Tuesday, led by defensive sectors, in a sign the cash piles recently moving into the market are being put to use by cautious investors to pick up more gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 72.87 points, or 0.52 percent, to 13,954.80. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 7.70 points, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.64 points, or 0.02 percent, to 3,153.66.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Australia Union wanted to rip up Beale contract - chairman
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |