US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Defensive sectors lead Wall Street higher
NEW YORK Jan 29 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks advanced on Tuesday, led by defensive sectors, in a sign the cash piles recently moving into the market are being put to use by cautious investors to pick up more gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 72.87 points, or 0.52 percent, to 13,954.80. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 7.70 points, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.64 points, or 0.02 percent, to 3,153.66.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Alexandra Hedison
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Barclays chairman defends staff bonuses as Standard Life leads shareholder protests
- Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane