US STOCKS SNAPSHOT - Defensive sectors lead Wall Street higher
NEW YORK Jan 29 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks advanced on Tuesday, led by defensive sectors, in a sign the cash piles recently moving into the market are being put to use by cautious investors to pick up more gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 72.87 points, or 0.52 percent, to 13,954.80. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 7.70 points, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.64 points, or 0.02 percent, to 3,153.66.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Iceland cuts aviation alert to orange, no ash from new eruption |
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine