Los Angeles Catholic archdiocese releases priest abuse files
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Catholic archdiocese of Los Angeles released thousands of pages of files on Thursday relating to child molestation by priests, part of a 2007 civil court settlement, and apologized again for the abuse.
"The 2013 public release of the files of clergy who were subject of the 2007 global settlement concludes a sad and shameful chapter in the history of our local church," the archdiocese said in a statement.
The files were made public more than a week after church records relating to 14 priests were unsealed as part of a separate civil suit, showing that church officials plotted to conceal the molestations from law enforcement as late as 1987.
(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down
- Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders