UK to strengthen sanctions against failed bankers
LONDON (Reuters) - Chancellor George Osborne said on Monday that the government plans to strengthen sanctions against senior bankers and open up bank payment systems to stimulate competition in the industry.
"I want to see how we can strengthen the sanctions regime for senior bankers - for example, should there be a presumption that the directors of failed banks do not work in the sector again?," Osborne said in a speech on bank reform.
(Reporting by Matt Scuffham; Editing by Steve Slater)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- Special Report - Where Ukraine's separatists get their weapons
- Analysis - Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine