Magnitude 6.6 quake strikes off Solomon Islands - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - An earthquake with a preliminary 6.6 magnitude struck 256 miles (412 km) east of the Solomon Islands on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, the latest aftershock following a tremor that caused a tsunami which killed at least five people.
The quake was 6.2 miles (10 km) deep and located southeast of Kira Kira. There was no immediate tsunami warning.
(Editing by Angus MacSwan)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Special Report - Where Ukraine's separatists get their weapons
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks