- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- Sao Paulo, Rio revoke transport fare hikes as protests continue |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Bernanke says Fed likely to reduce bond buying this year |
Apple experiments with devices similar to watches: NYT
NEW YORK |
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc. is experimenting with the design of a device similar to a wristwatch that would operate on the same platform as the iPhone and would be made with curved glass, the New York Times reported on Sunday.
The article cited unnamed sources "familiar with the company's explorations".
The watch-like product that could be used to make mobile payments is currently in the experimental stage and would operate on Apple's iOS platform, which is the foundation of its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch consumer devices, the Times said.
An Apple spokesperson did not immediately return a call for comment.
The Wall Street Journal separately reported that one person briefed on the effort said Apple discussed such a device with its major manufacturing partner Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, also known as Foxconn, which has been working on some technologies that could be used in wearable devices.
The Taiwan-based company has been working toward making more power-efficient displays and its technologies are aimed at multiple Foxconn customers, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing the same person.
(Reporting By Marcy Nicholson; Editing by Nick Zieminski)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this