China says strongly opposes North Korean nuclear test
BEIJING (Reuters) - China said on Tuesday it strongly opposed North Korea's latest nuclear test and urged its ally to abide by its non-nuclear commitment and not take any actions that would worsen the situation on the Korean peninsula.
"It is China's firm stance to realise non-nuclearisation for the Korean peninsula and prevent nuclear proliferation and maintain peace and stability in northeast Asia" the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. China
North Korea, which is banned under U.N. Security Council resolutions from developing nuclear and missile technology, said the test "was carried out at a high level in a safe and perfect manner", according to its official KCNA news agency.
(Reporting by Michael Martina; editing by Jonathan Standing)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman